Since 1937, Osborne Partners Capital Management, LLC and its predecessors have actively managed diversified, multi-asset class portfolios for families and institutions.
The firm was founded as an investment management boutique for sophisticated investors by Jack Stephenson, an early partner with Dodge & Cox, and Phelps Hunter, a Portfolio Manager with Crocker Bank. By successfully transitioning ownership throughout the decades, OPCM has become a well-established multi-asset class manager with $1.6 billion in assets under management (as of 12/31/2017). Ownership has evolved from the original two founders to the diverse ownership today, which includes 14 current OPCM employees.
Both individuals and institutions focus on growing their portfolios. We agree growth is important. But the ultimate goal is to achieve excellent risk adjusted returns. By focusing on growth while attempting to reduce negative returns in bear markets, long-term performance is maximized. Our strong performance is accomplished by taking diversification to the next level.
- Customize portfolios over six major asset classes similar to large foundations and endowments
- Manage portfolios in-house versus hiring outside managers
- Use nearly all individual securities versus buying mutual funds
- Long history of generating stock-like returns with less than 60% allocated to stocks.
- Concentrate on reducing downside risk
- Include customized, active financial planning services from experienced CFP® professionals on staff
- 1937 —
Phelps Hunter founded the firm in San Francisco
- 1960 —
Firm expands to 3 equity partners
- 1975 —
Firm reaches 100 million in assets under management
- 1980 —
March 10, 1980 – Charles Osborne joins the firm
- 2000 —
Name of the firm changes to Osborne Partners Capital Management, LLC
- 2004 —
OPCM reaches $500 million in assets under management
- 2006 —
OPCM opens a Silicon Valley office
- 2010 —
OPCM reaches $1 billion in assets under management
- 2013 —
OPCM reaches $1.5 billion in assets under management
- Year of Inception
- Assets (in billions) under management as of December 31, 2017
- Number of Employees
- Number of employees who are owners of OPCM
- Number of years our longest-term client has been with OPCM
- Percentage of AUM in liquid investments
- Extra cost to create a Financial Plan at OPCM
- Number of states OPCM clients reside
- Number of generations OPCM has managed portfolios for many families
- CIO Justin McNichols' ranking in the top-120 according to Barron's 2015 Top Advisor Rankings: California (and is the 16th ranked advisor on the list that is not with a firm also registered as a broker).